This fort near the hamlet of Jutphaas was built in around 1820 to protect the old road between Houten and Montfoort. Its elongated shape probably dates back to this time. Several other buildings were added over the years, including a defensible guardhouse that served as a reduit or last resort. The fort’s main purpose was to defend the narrow strip of land that could not be flooded. After the batteries on Overeindseweg were commissioned, the fort fell into disrepair, although a bridgekeeper’s house was built near the access bridge. During World War II, the fort served as a broadcasting station for the German Kriegsmarine.